Thursday, May 1, 2008

its a matter of style...

I was recently able to catch the pirated trailer for the new Clone Wars CG movie that will be in theaters this August. After running the video abut a dozen times, I decided that I'd check out the reaction posts that were listed below the frame. Much to my suprise, more than three-quarters of the responses were negative, with the biggest complaints being about the style.

Most of the posts were angry that Lucasfilm didn't use a photorealistic models of the characters, or that the Tartovski-style caracters should have been hand drawn. While I can appreciate their concern, I realize the great advantages these design choices granted.

First, why CG and not hand drawn? While it does take much longer to build a computer model of a character or object, once you build it, you can "photograph" or move it like a puppet or physical model ad infinatum. Once you get past the initial investment, CG cartoons are much easier to put together.

Second, why abstract instead of realistic? I have found that a realistic model can never be real enough. There is always some detail, usually in its expressiveness that seems lacking. Better to have a stylised character I can emote to, than a distracting or wooden performance.

All things considered though, this defense argument will be pointless if the story is sub-standard. I'll be waiting with fingers crossed, eager to see this new chapter in the saga, hoping that George hasn't been too hands on with the script...

No comments: